The two basic social media platforms that I think every
library should have are:
Instagram
I was astounded by how engaging, enthralling and beautiful
the London Library’s Instagram page was. I think that a lot of people have an
Instagram account, pictures are a universal language, they “say a thousand
words”, and the account can host a number of images on one page, which can lead
a person to be drawn in to the kinds of things that attract them about the
library.
If a library was particularly architecturally interesting,
had beautiful surrounds, possessed aesthetically interesting interiors/seating,
invested in great displays or even had a fantastic photographer on staff, then
I think Instagram would be a pertinent choice for their social media.
A library in an area that has the capacity to invest in
beauty and beautiful spaces, where the residents also have same (such as a
higher socioeconomic area) might benefit from Insty.
Facebook
Facebook seems to me to be an extraordinarily common and
popular choice of social media. I think that there are perhaps families and
parents who hold a Facebook account – great for promoting children’s activities
at the library and literacy resources. Facebook account holders who are friends
of the library can share and spread library posts with people with similar
interests or people in their area.
Facebook has the capacity to use words and pictures to
attract attention and therefore to describe any events, articles, statements
made, and to explain benefits, attractive elements of the library and it’s
activities. It can show pictures of the
library or as I mentioned – to attract attention to a post – making the library
a more familiar & welcoming place for new users.
The third suggestion might be Twitter. You could have either
Twitter or Facebook; or either twitter or Instagram. It’s brief, like a
snapshot. It’s got words – like Facebook. It’s reasonably popular. If the
residents of your area are net savvy and time-poor, I’d go for that and an Insta account.
No comments:
Post a Comment